What’s Up Youth “WupY”
What’s Up Youth “WupY” (www.wupy.org), a World Summit Youth Award 2010 Winner as one of the best e-content working on achieving the MDGs, is one of the thousands non-profit portal offering youth around the world with a variety of free and practical services and relevant information in one click on opportunities for trainings, scholarships, and capacity building. Our youth-led portal, which was created in 20 September 2008 by a group of youth from the Middle East and North Africa, has today approximately 50,000 followers all over the world.
The WupY team noticed through its longue years of work with youth that youngsters mainly need valid information about the offered opportunities which target them. Therefore, WupY presents itself as a bridge between active and curious youth and the information they may need to develop their capacities and fulfill their dreams.
Nowadays, youth mostly use new information and communication technologies, especially Internet, to search for resources and establish contacts worldwide. That’s precisely why we have chosen Internet to be our mean to communicate to youngsters the relevant information to their particular interests.
- A high demand among active youth and curious youth of information about opportunities, events, funders, actives and resources.
- A low competition in the field, as there is no specialized daily updated portal specialized only on youth opportunities and services, and the few portals which already exist are weak and don’t provide a complete and massive flow of information.
- An important amount of useful youth-oriented information wasted everyday through classical means of communication, which can be canalized through one common medium in one fixed address.
In WupY, we target primarily active youth, whether leaders, workers, activists, or talented youth aged 15 to 35 years old, who are longing to find opportunities and resources related to their activities or field of action. Yet, WupY not only targets active youth, but also aims to inspire a number of curious youth to make their first step towards building their capacities or exploring their hidden talents.
We are a dedicated youth-led team, which has a great deal of experience in working with and for youth and help them reach the highest level of self-fulfillment. The WupY team assures a daily update of the portal content, by collecting through all possible means the useful and trustworthy information and resources youth may need in their road to success.
Our mission is to give youth all around the world the three keys to realize their objectives in serving their communities and exploring their inner energies and talents: Information, existing funding opportunities, and skills. WupY ensures that the information youth gets from our portal is reliable, through a process of verification of the sources and double checking. Our team is also open to answer questions and guide the visitors for an optimal usage of our services.
- Building an online community which has a common capital of useful and trustworthy information to share with each other.
- Collecting a maximum of useful and reliable information youth may need in their activities in one free and accessible portal.
- Developing the capacities of youth worldwide, contributing in building their skills and reactivity, and inspiring them to get involved in the process of change.
- Informing both active youth and curious youth about the opportunities they have, the events which may interest them, the success stories and best practices of other youth groups, as well as the funders which can support their projects and dreams.
- Assembling a complete and opened database about all the aspects and actors of youth work and resources related to this field, which can help youth network on a global scale with all involved parties.
The WupY formula is very simple: collecting a maximum of useful and valid youth-oriented information on opportunities, events, active groups, funders, and resources, and putting it in one free and accessible international portal.
The first service we offer is to put together a maximum of opportunities which may concern youth like: scholarships, grants, competitions, prizes etc. These opportunities are introduced in a youth-thought easy way, presenting the descriptions, deadlines, and sometimes even giving external links and downloadable forms.
What’s up Youth, also gives a detailed agenda of a maximum of important youth events like: workshops, seminars, forums, jams, etc. The events are presented with simplified guidelines about how to apply and descriptive paragraphs for a better understanding of the nature of each event.
Moreover, WupY helps youth in networking and learning about from the success stories, the best practices and the innovative projects of other youth around the world, by offering a rich database of involved youth groups, whether NGOs, initiatives, organizations, or other forms of actors working in the field.
Because youth dreams and projects need to be supported, assisted, and funded, WupY suggests a growing list of national, regional, and international funders of community youth work or personal projects.
Sometimes, youth may need more than funds to succeed. They need technical knowledge and practical skills to achieve their objectives, explore new horizons, or to build new capacities. WupY thought about that, and offers a variety of resources for youth through its portal, by providing online downloadable tool-kits, manuals and diverse publications.
The WupY portal is also a personalized account, up-to-date news, polls on youth issues and more!
What’s up Youth have provide a varied of services to youth around the world through the last three year, as lately set our slogan as “A Global Youth Network” which is consist of 3 categories (Youth Empowerment www.wupy.org - New Media www.wupy.tv a global youth channel and WupY Professional Services, www.wupy.pro) works under the #8 MDG, Global Partnership for Development.
What’s up Youth through the years launched many campaigns on different topics and youth related issues and below find the Campaigns of WupY;
- Our very first campaign through WupY was Blog for Dialogue (Euro-Arab Dialogue) with the league of Arab States Youth Forum II 2008 under the slogan “Youth and Cultural Dialogue: towards a Transnational cultural Approach”, Blog 4 Dialogue is a Blog which offers space for debate, dialogue, and brainstorming about Euro-Arab Youth Intercultural Dialogue and coming out with projects, recommendations, and actions which can be communicated later to decision makers from the League of Arab States and Europe. For more details visit us here:blogfordialogue.wupy.org
- Second and the Best Campaign we did till now, the Culture of Peace Campaign - Celebrating the International Day of Peace, Culture of Peace fosters the means of Dialogue, mutual understanding and negotiation among people; it reaches through youth particularly to tackle their attitudes and behavior and prevent violence and ignorance that has been the cause of many conflicts years before, and so creating new environment and culture, which transforms deficient capabilities and emerges innovations along pathways of life, we launched this campaign on September 2009 as an “ONLINE” Campaign and in 2010 we developed the idea and we enhanced these concepts through interactive workshops, peace concerts, exhibition and peace songs and we organized those activities in 8 countries, and in 2011 we getting more bigger with so many partners around the world and we organized the campaign activities in more than 12 countries beside the Arts for Peace Contest and more than 10.000 attended this activities in our partners countries. For more details visit us here: peaceday.wupy.org
- During the League of Arab States Youth Forum II 2008 in Amman where we launched our very first campaign in WupY the Blog 4 Dialogue we met there some friends form Radio 1812 which celebrating the International Migrants’ Day and after many meeting and discussions in 2009 we decided to launch the third campaign of WupY, Arabic 1812 Radio – Celebrating the International Migrants’ Day, it’s a an Internet campaign with a help from other internet radios and websites for the first time to discuss and focus on Migrants and all relates issues, Managed interviews with many of politics, experts, economist and a lot of other related officials. This Radio 1812 initiative celebrates the International Day of immigrants every year and played in since 2006 has organized events to mark the day and from including the idea of broadcast radio broadcasts and interviews via Podcast through the website of Radio 1812, which is run over on 18 December and Display posts from around the world to showcase the achievements and problems of migrants in each place, and here developed the idea we have been adding some and removing some and we found that start an initiative called "Arabic 1812 Radio," a live broadcast through the radio in the Arab region to talk about immigrants and their problems and not only that, but we hope and we hope to organize this event annually and continue to show the radio all year round, not just on the International Day of migrants. In 2010 Radio 1812 and Arabic 1812 Radio met together in Italy & Tunisia during the Euro-Arab Youth Conference (about Migration between the two sites) and we worked together to prepare the celebration of 2010 Migrants’ Day and we produced a documentary during this conference reflecting the opinions of organizers and participants about the migrants and migration problems and how we can solve this issues. Nowadays we are working to extend this Arabic 1812 Radio in many Arab countries and we will celebrate this year’s Migrants’ Day through Live Audio-Visual broadcasting from many countries talking about the migration and migrant’s related issues as well celebrating the migrants’ day. For more details visit us here: arabic1812.wupy.org
- Free Writings Competition called Lahzat fi Hayati (Moments in my Life), we launched in the Arab world in cooperation with some youth talented writers and we got so many contributions and we published them all on the compaction website and we chose the best of them and published in a printed book and we distributed it all around the Arab countries. For more details visit us here: lahzat.wupy.org
- In 2010 we launched “Balad elBanat Campaign” – Celebrating the International and Egyptian Women’s Day, this campaign aims to celebrate and spread awareness of the most important celebrations of the UN and then returned them to the Egyptian and Arab environment. And the celebration of International Women's Day and the day of the Egyptian woman on March 8 and March 16 of each year, one of the most important festivals, and it is dealing with one of the most pressing issues in the Egyptian and Arab reality and is the discrimination against women. Address the ceremonial light on the most important women's suffering and the most important successes. The campaign addressed several issues of importance such as violence against women, women and politics, women in history ...Etc. For more details visit us here: womenday.wupy.org
- An inspirational space for youth and youth workers launched in 2010 titled; Ideas for Working with People: a Blog for Ideas from the Civil Society Workers: Working with People, born to including the richness and variety of many experiences worth to stop and ponder until then turn to the source of learning for us and for others, many work with people and many are the experiences and in spite of the limited spaces are hoping to learn from these experiences and practices. Ideas for Working With People, is an attempt to create an area of learning shared by working with people from practitioners and activists in their work and their experiences in working with people on different forms and methods, as summed up its mission to add an area of joint learning to work with people based on the reflections of practitioners and activists for their work and their experiences. Ideas for Working with People... a Welcoming space... Welcomes all those who have a passion for working with people, free space... Are not related or limited to a specific topic or a particular method of working with people. For more details visit us here: ifwwp.wupy.org
- What’s up Youth Channel (www.wupy.tv) “A Global Youth Channel” an initiative we launched to targeting youth and civil society between 18 and 35 years old. It is an alternative to mass media, providing equal access to all young people, regardless of ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation or social status. The channel created by youth for youth. It’s specifically provide disadvantaged, low-income and minority youth access to a quality media forum through which to express creativity, foster dialogue, and encourage social and civic participation. The WupY’s Channel strives to build confidence, establish role models, inform, educate, and entertain. It empowers youth to create change within their communities and the world. Also we use this channel to feature the What’s up Youth Professional Services youth events we covered and work to enrich the channel content through this events and it’s youth participants. For more details visit us here: www.wupy.tv
- What’s up Youth Professional Services “WupY PS”(www.wupy.pro) A fundraising campaign we launched late 2010, and this campaign offers all the essential elements necessary for covering, capturing and streaming live video in a corporate conference environment. If anyone looking to expand the live audience beyond the board room or conferences hall, these services will suit the needs. The production elements include professional quality video cameras with experienced operators; and technical director to professionally switch, mix and stream the video; the creation of title graphics. The live conference stream can also be archived and immediately made available to the public after the event concludes. We also provide a high quality mixed digital recording of the conferences at the conclusion of the event. So we offer these services and we use the income of these services to support our campaigns and initiatives, What’s up Youth portal as well What’s up Youth Channel, beside supporting some of youth initiatives and organizations. For more details visit us here: www.wupy.pro
Moreover, What’s up Youth “WupY” Helps and Sponsor many youth initiatives and organizations in networking and learning about from the success stories, the best practices and the innovative projects of other youth around the world through offering them free hosting space, web development for their projects websites in addition to helping them in the outreach and promotion of their projects, initiatives and organizations through different media and social media tools and platforms, as well connecting them with many other related projects and making bridging and networking between different youth initiatives, projects and organizations and below find the Sponsorships of WupY;
- Since 2009 we started sponsoring the World Summit Youth Award, a Global Contest selects and promotes best practice in e-Content working to achieve the MDGs, and we sponsored them and offered a multi-lingual website and translated the award website in different languages to reach out more youth and initiatives to get them involved in the award as well the MDGs, and still we keeps working with them until now. For more details visit us here: wsya.wupy.org - wsya09.mspired.com
- Another project we sponsored them and created for them a website and social media tools in 2009, Ana Tounsi “I am a Tunisian” this project is designed to increase youth participation in Tunisian civil society. The project will seek to engage youth by raising their awareness of individual rights and responsibilities at the civic, political and environmental levels. This program seeks to help these young citizens become more effective in their work by teaching them modern communication and technical skills, thus enabling the youth to contribute effectively to the democratic development of their community. For more details visit us here: ana-tounsi.wupy.org
- In 2010 we sponsored the Alexandria World Music Festival, a Festival represents a repertoire of world bands, ensembles and a selection of sounds and instruments that can be found around the Mediterranean, while emphasizing the undeniable influence Mediterranean musical culture has had on Europe and the rest of the world, and we in WupY offered them to sponsor creating a website for the festival as well helping them outreach this music and ideas to many young people around the world and still we keeps working with them until now. For more details visit us here: awmf.wupy.org
- New Youth Platform we sponsored in 2010 and it’s called “ActivYouth Portal” a virtual community include various section for all types of art, where youth can post all type of their works in the related sections to their works, besides the forums and event section that would include all the documentation of the events to be published on the websites and shared with the organizing committee of each event in order to explain more for the people who are interested on the events through the website more about their organization and the event held. For more details visit us here: www.activyouth.com
- Through our experience and helps we offer for different you organizations we sponsored creating a website and social media tools for The European-Egyptian Contemporary Music Society (EECMS) which seeks to promote contemporary music in Egypt and foster creative dialogue by building relationships with cultural institutions and ensembles at a national and international level. For more details visit us here: www.eecms.eu
- World Independent Youth Union (WIYU) is a self-governed, non-profit, non-governmental educational organization, was formed in 1999 and is officially registered with the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Armenia in 2000 and it works in Development and promotion of a culture and mechanisms of dialogue and co-operation between the civil society through international activities, assistance of consolidation of the “Culture of Peace” in our region and in the world, and we in WupY sponsored them and offered a free hosting, website and social media tools. For more details visit us here: www.wiyu.org
- Help is still going to youth initiatives and through offering a free hosting, website and social media, tools this time we sponsored the Youth Development Resource Center (YDRC) a resource center for youth development offers all youth related issues from reports, informational resources, researches, and training places, and mainly based on training ways and institutions. For more details visit us here: www.ydrc.org
- Arts also is one of our fields of interest so we sponsored AGORA Arts & Culture Organization, From the "AGORA" in the Greek cities through the "SPACE" in the Islamic cities and finally to the "SQUARE" in modern cities, we can easily monitor the important role of public spaces which gives the opportunity to the people to express themselves and verify the concept of Place Democracy that tightens the sense of belonging and efficiently links between the members of the community. For this reason, and for the reason that the AGORA of Alexandria played a core role in shaping the current identity of the City, they chose the title AGORA Arts and Culture for an organization with the endeavor of reviving the concept of the real Agora as a gathering place and a venue for "Self-expression" through Arts Practice. And we sponsored them through offering them a free hosting, website and social media, tools as well most of their events and activities such as “Start with Yourself Festival”. For more details visit us here: www.agoraorganization.org
- Developing our sponsorship and we not only offering web based solutions for the organizations and initiatives, but we also help them starting their own organizations and projects so we starting with young people from Egypt to establishing Egypt Foundation for Youth Development, a relatively new Non-Governmental Organization based in Egypt the mission of EF is to contribute to the education of young people, and to help build a better generation in which young people are self-fulfilled as individuals and play a constructive role in society. The main objectives of the organization are to encourage and enable youth, to identify the priority problems facing them and their society, and to prepare youth to face those problems as well as the challenges of today's ever-changing environment. These main objectives are achieved through the full participation of young people and their formal and informal structures. For more details visit us here: www.egyptfoundation.org
- Our recent work late 2011 will be offering our web, online based solutions for Waseela for Training and Development a youth based NGO aiming at providing a various set of channels and tools of developing Egyptian youth, assisting them to be change agents in their communities. Promoting the concept of volunteerism among young people, supporting young people with the essential skills and knowledge needed to enhance their social and professional pursuits, promoting political, cultural and social awareness of youth, empowering young people and increase their participation in civil society and offering a forum for dialogue, exchange of opinions between young people and seeking a change encouraging an active participation for youth constructing a new social definition of solidarity and mutual understanding. For more details visit us here: www.waseela.me
What’s up Youth also partnered with many initiatives, projects, programs and organization and we worked together on many things and we helped them in outreach, promotion and showing the value of their projects and ideas through WupY portal and all our network and programs, kindly below find the Partners of WupY;
- Friendship Ambassadors Foundation: Online Media Partner and we offered them What’s up Youth Professional Services and we did the live coverage for the 9th Annual Youth Assembly at the United Nations: For more details visit us here: www.wupy.org/youth-assembly.html
- Bibliotheca Alexandrina; Dialogue Forum, Online Media Partner and we offered them What’s up Youth Professional Services and we did the love coverage for the Youth: A Revolution of Change Conference. For more details visit us here: www.facebook.com/BA.AYF - www.livestream.com/ba_ayf
- TakingITGlobal; Youth for Change Program: is a program to Support a group of young social entrepreneurs to take action in their communities through building their capacities and supporting their development projects on crucial issues affecting their lives, since 2008 WupY and Youth for Change working together to reach out the maximum number of youth around the world and specially in the Arab region to help them and giving them the chance to apply in the program mini-grants as well get benefited from the program online educational tools. For more details visit us here: yfc.tigweb.org
- Global Youth Culture Contest 2010; part of Youth for Change Program activities. For more details visit us here: yfc.tigweb.org/getinvolved/contest
- Our New partner United States Agency for International Development “USAID”; Youth Sector through USAID’s MENA Regional Youth Conference “Our Voices, Our Communities: Emerging Role of Arab Youth in Development” this meeting will provide young participants with the opportunity to engage in a dialogue on community development priorities, to exchange views with stakeholders on effective development approaches, to comment on key areas of USAID involvement in the region, and to build networks with other young participants from the region, as WupY Professional Services will offer them the live coverage for the event as well engaging more youth in the conference through the online-platforms and social media tools. For more details visit us here: http://www.facebook.com/usaidmenayouth
Ladies & Gents it is now time for you to enjoy surfing through our website!