Financial aid: none
Date: 1 - 3 August 2012
Open to: All Interested
Friendship Ambassadors Foundation "FAF"
Call for Participants
11th Youth Assembly at the United Nations
The UNWIRED Generation – Youth Leveraging Technology to Meet the MDGs
United Nations Headquarters "General Assembly Hall", New York, USA, 1 - 3 August 2012
Youth Assembly Overview
- Special Focus: Youth @ UNCSD (Rio+20) & Sustainability Issues Worldwide YOUTH AT RIO+20
- Youth Leaders Leveraging Technology for the MDG's & BeyondUNWIRED GENERATION
- Focus: Youth Led Development toward the Success of the 8 U.N. Millennium Development Goals (MDGS)
- Theme: The MDGs and Beyond: Youth Leaders Making a Difference, Today and Tomorrow
- Program: Pre-Conference Course at Fairleigh Dickinson University, Followed by three days at the U.N. Headquarters in New York
- Platform: Plenary sessions, workshops, round table discussions, networking
- Leadership: Renowned speakers and expert workshop facilitators; U.N. Staff participation at all sessions; Young leaders like yourself from around the world
- Special Events: Tours of UN Headquarters and Evening receptions, MDG Campaign Night, YA Culture Night (Aboard a NYC cruise liner, circling Manhattan)
The goals of the Annual Youth Assembly are to…
- Provide access to and information about the work, successes and current challenges of the United Nations;
- Promote increased youth participation in UN programs, its agencies and NGO affiliates;
- Strengthen commitment to the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals;
- Connect committed youth with opportunities, mentors, colleagues, and new associates;
- Recognize the artistic and diplomatic efforts of young people already involved in development and humanitarian initiatives;
- Promote renewal of a commitment to serve and respect this most important international institution.
Some background: At the Millennium General Assembly in 2000, all Heads of State created and unanimously agreed to work toward the accomplishment of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). But it is the people of each country that must come together to take action to see that these goals are achieved and that we can finally live in a New Millennium that we are proud to bequeath to future generations of all nations. “A successful and engaging event … the initiative that your organization put forth was much appreciated. Please accept this as an expression of WFUNA’s wishes for even deeper and continued cooperation with FAF in the future.” Incia Zaffar, World Federation of United Nations Associations.
- To learn about the United Nations and how you can become involved in the success of the 8 UN MDGs
- To hear great speakers and workshop leaders
- To voice your opinions on the urgent issues of today and help make a permanent impact throughout the world
- To meet other dedicated young people from all over the world
Eligibility: Who should apply?
Young Professionals working in the field, Ages 22-26. Advanced Youth Leaders engaged in UN or MDG studies, Ages 16 – 21, are most welcome, and Prospective summer intern applicants for FAF’s YA Preparation Program are also urged to apply.
If you are part of a group interested in attending the Youth Assembly, please apply together using the group application form. Note that you must have at least 12 members or more to apply as a group; if you have less than 12 members, please submit individual applications for each group member.
- YA Registration and YA Conference Package Reservation Opens
- YA Reservation Deadline for Conference Package
- YA Registration Deadline
- Arrival at Fairleigh Dickinson University for Emerging Global Leaders Seminar (EGLS)
- Orientation Night (Pace University, NYC)
- 11th Youth Assembly at the United Nations (DATES TO BE FINALIZED BY UN ON MARCH 26)
- MDG Campaign Night Dinner
- YA Culture Night Dinner and NYC Cruise
- YA Closing Night Farewell, Networking Dinner
* Subject to change
All events at the Annual Youth Assembly are carried out in English. Interpretation is available, at a cost to participant.
Friendship Ambassadors Foundation
Website: 11th YA