United Nations Youth Association of Lebanon
On December 2009, the UNYA-Lebanon sprout blossomed within a small group of university students and social activist and youth leaders, who had two main concerns:
- Setting for an official UN Lebanese Youth representation to the UNGA.
- Spreading the culture of the UN Charter.
The official constitutive meeting was held on the 4th of March 2010 at Beirut Legal offices with the presence of Me. Celine Karam attended by the nine board members and founders of the UNYA Lebanon and are to be considered ones of the finest civil society young activists and entrepreneurs coming from different backgrounds and sharing several experiences. You can have a closer look on our board member in the Board Members page.
According to its constitution the aims of UNYA-Lebanon are as following:
• Act as the umbrella organization of Lebanese UN Clubs (except the UNESCO Clubs*), Model United Nations Initiatives, school and university delegations to international Model UN conferences, UN Youth Campaign Groups, groups of young UN Youth Volunteers.
• Be a forum for young leaders and activists to share knowledge about social entrepreneurship & the UN MDGs. Thus helping the promising youth to establish a peer-to-peer educational system, many dialogue panels and a space for future developmental youth-led projects. All within the spirit of the UN Charter and MDGs.
• Empower young people by lobbying and advocating at a governmental level for a national youth inclusion & empowerment strategy, in order to see young delegates, leaders and representatives involved in the Lebanese civil, public and international affairs; and to set a Lebanese youth representatives system to the UNGA.
• Create channels of collaboration and cooperation with ministries and other civil society actors, in order to engage on a local level more contributors and partners in its yearly action plan.
• Be the official patronage for any Lebanese candidacy to MUNs whether held locally, regionally or internationally.
* UNESCO Clubs in Lebanon work under the umbrella of the Lebanese National Committee - UNESCO Clubs Section and are not affiliated to the UNYA-Lebanon.
UNYA-Lebanon is an NGO relying on three pillars:
1. The Administrative board
2. The General Assembly
3. The Executive Teams
While you can read more about the first two organs, in our bylaws (attached below) the Executive teams have only been mentioned in the previously mentioned texts; In fact it is intentional; the UNYA Lebanon is seeking to leave the door open to recruit enthusiastic individuals, pass on enthusiasm and knowledge, and make sure that missions be handed over diligently to the "right people" forming the "right executive teams" for each project. The founders consider that sustainability is easier to be achieved when there is a large pool of active members & executives.
United Nations Youth Association of Lebanon Secretariat
Office: +961 71 717859