The European-Egyptian Contemporary Music Society
The European-Egyptian Contemporary Music Society (EECMS)
Following the successful first Contemporary Music Biennale 2009 in Egypt, a project involving the cooperation of the Bibliotheca Alexandrina and the Cairo Opera House, a permanent organization based in Germany has been established for the management of future festivals, concerts and other projects (in the process of registration, May 2010). The biennale was a great success in terms of participation of musicians and audience alike.
The European Egyptian Music Contemporary Society will act as coordinator between cultural and musical institutions and ensembles at a national and international level, focusing in particular on the cultural relationships between Germany and Egypt.
The General Manager and Artistic Director’s personal involvement in all aspects of the Biennale in 2009, as a professional musician as well as organizer, provides a strong knowledge base from which to initiate further activities. Sherif El Razzaz continues to work closely with many major ensembles and has an acute awareness of trends and opportunities in the world of contemporary music.
He has demonstrated the ability to put together well balanced programs to fit, not only the interests of the performers and composers, but also that of a wider audience. His personal interest is in developing bridges between cultures through the exploration and experience of a modern musical language, as well as developing and promoting the national language of Egyptian contemporary music.
Invaluable contacts have been made during the preparation for the 2009 Biennale, including those with major institutions in Europe and the Far East such as the Goethe institute Germany, Asahie Shimbun Foundation Japan, Tongyeong International Music Festival TIMF, South Korea.
Mission & Values
- Manage the financial needs of all programs; operating costs, concerts, projects, travel etc.
- Organize, coordinate and supervise the realisation of all projects.
- Support educational projects reaching out to schools, colleges and Universities.
- Provide a structure through which Egyptian composers and musicians will be recognised according to their talent and proficiency.
- Manage the newly founded Egyptian Contemporary Music Ensemble.
- Initiate commissions for new works, with a focus on composers in Egypt and the Arab region.
- Organize performances, workshops, seminars, internships/scholarships etc.
- Provide opportunities through which Egyptian musicians and composers can broaden their experience and share their unique background.
- Strengthen institutional relations with organisations and ensembles in Europe and further a field to enable a valuable exchange with Egyptian and Arab institutions.
- Coordinate activities at various cultural institutions in Egypt.
- Promote contemporary music in Egypt.
- Providing a wide range of performance opportunities for local and visiting ensembles, composers and students
Mohamed Ezz Aldin
European-Egyptian Contemporary Music Society (EECMS)
Programme Manager Egypt